I attended Layton School of Art and became an Illustrator. Doing artwork for children’s books and advertising for many national and local companies during the last 42 years. During summers I exhibited at Art Fairs and did Pastel Portraits. Through the years I have also been doing Fine Art, mostly oil painting. Recently I have been doing Plein-Air Painting ; painting from life outdoors. Much of my current work is representative of this discipline. I try to capture the light and atmosphere of a scene within a few hours. I believe that a painting is not just a two dimensional illusion, but also that of a moment in life, captured by an artist on canvas.
I am a founding member of Wisconsin Plein-Air Painters Association. The WIPAPA has been established as a state wide fellowship of artists dedicated to promoting and practicing the traditional discipline of Plein-Air painting. Members seek to honestly interpret the natural and man-made beauty and diversity of Wisconsin’s landscapes and culture. We will strive to enhance member’s skills and reputations by providing regular opportunities to paint outdoors together, and to critique our work and share our expertise with fellow artists in order to maintain the highest standards of the Plein-Air tradition of painting. We will promote our paintings through an online website, regular exhibitions and competitions.
I have found that while doing a painting outdoors I am immersed in the moment , what I mean is that later when I look at the painting I can remember all the things that went on as I painted ,the weather, the birds singing, a small animal moving through the scene, people who have stopped to talk to me. The memories are all part of the painting.
I live in Waukesha with my wife Lin.
My accomplishments in Plein-Air Painting events include:
- 3rd place in Quick Paint – 2008 Downer Street Event
- 1st place in Quick Paint – 2008 Mid-Summer Brush
- 1st place in Quick Paint – 2009 Mid-Summer Brush
- Honorable Mention at IPAPA First Brush of Spring 2009
- 1st place in Painting – 2010 Wauwatosa Plein-Air and Village Affair
- 3rd place in Dockside Quick Paint 2010 Door County Plein-Air Festival
- 3rd place in Oil at the 2011 IPAPA First Brush of Spring
- 2nd place Art at the Mill Plein-Air Richfield, 2012
- #2 Artist’s Choice 2013 Cedarburg Plein-Air Event
- 1st place 2013 Historic Third Ward Plein-Air Event
- 1st place 2013 Richfield Historic Park-Art at the Mill Plein-Air Event
Juried Art Exhibitions
- Waukesha Art Fair – 2008 -2009 -2011
- Firefly Art Festival – 2008 -2009-2012
- Milwaukee Domes Art Festival – 2010 -2011-2012
- Hidden River Art Festival -2010 -2011-2012
- Plymouth Art Fair -2010 -2011
- The Little Show-Cedarburg -2011
Art Exhibition Awards
- Honorable Mention – 2008 Waukesha Art Fair
- Best of Show – 2010 Plymouth Art Fair
- First Place – 2011 Plymouth Art Fair
- 3 Time – Favorite 15% BoldBrush Competition
- Best of Show 2013 Kenosha Art Fair